I’m Zach Heilman. This is me:
I’m currently a sysadmin at Prometheus Research.
Here’s some other stuff I’m doing:
- Organist for Memorial Lutheran Church, as well as a substitute organist for other churches around central Iowa.
- DJing. We’ve performed at multiple high school dances, college parties, weddings, and much more.
Here’s some stuff I’ve done in the past:
- Studied at Iowa State University, majoring in Computer Engineering. (2009-2014)
- Systems intern at Vail Systems (summer 2014)
- Sysadmin and staff member for ISEAGE, which puts on multiple Cyber Defense Competitions (exercises in counter-hacking) every year. I was the director of the 2012 ISU CDC and the 2013 Community College CDC. (2010-2014)
Here’s what I can do:
- *nix systems – I’ve got plenty of experience with Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, FreeBSD, and more. I can RTFM and troubleshoot. Give me a task, and I’ll get it done with minimal handholding. Config management? Gotta love stuff like Salt or Ansible. Remote installation? Set up a custom-built PXE server utilizing iPXE and Syslinux. Nagios checks? Gotta love Python scripts.
- TCP/IP Networking – when you have to simulate an entire internet, you need a pretty strong grasp on this stuff. Besides creating a core router using nothing but FreeBSD and /etc/rc.conf to simulate dozens of networks, I’ve had to set up BIND, isc-dhcpd, and squid servers to get everyone up and running inside the ISEAGE environment.
- VMware – in order to facilitate the Cyber Defense Competitions, I stood up a couple of 15-node vCenter clusters from scratch to run all kinds of Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD VMs.
- Windows + AD/LDAP – I can set up a domain from scratch, or migrate to a new one (don’t forget the FSMO roles!) and then join *nix machines to it. And installing Windows hundreds of times over the years (and using it as a primary OS) will teach you a thing or two.